Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Ok, Ok, Ok

So, I took this test yesterday. And despite declaring that I would get shittons done today, I guess I will jump on the bandwagon since my blog BFFs AA and JLK have posted their results. I'll even give you my thoughts about each of my scores! (whoop-di-do).

Neuroticism
Neuroticism (sometimes also called Emotional Instability) is the tendency to experience negative emotions such as sadness or anxiety. People who score high on neuroticism are vulnerable to stress and tend to experience negative feelings more often. People who score low in neuroticism tend to be less susceptible to stress, and experience negative feelings relatively infrequently.

You scored 14 out of 50. This score is higher than 4.3% of people who have taken this test.

Ok, so I totally agree with this one. I've always know that I'm very....un-neurotic. This is probably why most of my girlfriends come to me for the most logical, rational advice they can get. I am generally easygoing and hard to really stress out. When I am stressed, I rarely get OVERWHELMED by stress. Something in me, which I think stems from childhood and a long-reaching personal time horizon, always is able to get over the "now" in favor of "the future" and know that, well geez, everything is going to be all right. I suppose this means I am the anti-drama queen, which can be good or bad, depending on whether you like drama or not.


Extraversion
Extraversion (or Extroversion) is the tendency to experience positive emotions and seek out stimulating situations. People who score high on extraversion tend to be active, energetic, and enjoy being around other people. In contrast, people who score low on extraversion, known as introverts, tend to be quiet, low-key, and are typically less involved in the social world.

You scored 33 out of 50. This score is higher than 43.4% of people who have taken this test.

This one is also pretty spot on. I'm not especially shy, nor especially outgoing. I don't feed off the energy of other people to juice myself, nor can I stand to be totally alone for long periods of time and I do require social interaction. So, pretty boring and in the middle.

Openness to experience
Openness to experience is a general tendency to appreciate emotion, adventure, and unusual ideas or experiences. People who are open to experience are intellectually curious, appreciative of art, and sensitive to beauty. People with low scores on openness tend to have more conventional, traditional interests.

You scored 37 out of 50. This score is higher than 28.4% of people who have taken this test.

This is also pretty accurate, I think. I'm not totally risk averse (i.e. I have no problem picking up and moving to another part of the country, by myself), but I like to establish routines and patterns in my life. But I'm not a slave to them. However, I am definitely not as spontaneous as very spontaneous people, and I think they caught on that I don't really like art that much. Modern art especially. I appreciate beauty, but in my mind....real beauty, not deep non-sensical beauty like splashing paint on a canvas randomly. I think the flaw in this part of the study is the correlation between appreciating art and appreciating beauty. I remember thinking to myself, well, I'm really not all that into visual art, but sometimes a piano piece, well played, can reduce me to tears, as can the violin. So...anyway, my perception is that this part of the study was a bit too blunt.

Conscientiousness
Conscientiousness is the tendency to show self-discipline and persistence. People who score high on conscientiousness tend to be persistent, responsible, and duty-driven, but are sometimes perceived as being overly perfectionistic and concerned with order. Individuals low on conscientiousness tend to show less persistence and may have trouble seeing things through.

You scored 33 out of 50. This score is higher than 40.9% of people who have taken this test.

This is interesting to me. I am average here, really in the middle. And it makes sense, because I am not the most disciplined person, I don't think. But, this is really self-reported, and not observed. Part of me is aware that, by virtue of the fact that I have slogged my way through most of a PhD, I cannot possibly be a very undisciplined and unpersistent person. And yet, I really think that I am. Actually, that's not exactly true. I don't think of myself as UNdisciplined, I just do not think of myself as disciplined. This part of the study is difficult because of the self-reporting nature, for me. I find it hard to assess myself along this axis.

Agreeableness
Agreeableness is the tendency to be sympathetic and cooperative towards others. People who score high on agreeableness strive for social harmony and value getting along with others. Disagreeable people tend to be more suspicious and hostile towards others.

You scored 41 out of 50. This score is higher than 76.7% of people who have taken this test.

I definitely do consider myself quite agreeable here - part of me sometimes thinks that I am part Empath (e.g. Deanna Troi) because I generally can sense when other people are uncomfortable, and if I know them well enough (or care), figure out how to alleviate that discomfort. So it's not so much that I am agreeable, but I do think I have a tendency to be sympathetic and strive for social harmony. One of my best friends thanked me after her wedding because of a few specific little things I did to alleviate tension in a situation that were fairly subtle, and that's the sort of thing I think I am good at. So yeah. Now I feel like I have been bragging about myself, that's not my intent at all. Anyway, my point is that I feel like this study captured my tendencies along this axis reasonably well.

Ok, so even though this isn't actually a meme, I tagged it as a meme because it's so meme-like. Someone else do it now! :)

No comments: