Saturday, November 1, 2008

Job Search Stress

I have been so stressed about what to do with my life after I graduate into this crapass economy that I have been unable to fall asleep quickly for the past few nights.

This is pretty epic. Usually I am asleep in less than 5 minutes after I get into bed. Possibly even less than 3. I think last night it took me 30 minutes to fall asleep. I know this is not a lot for many people, but for me, that is A LOT - an entire order of magnitude. I had to forcibly tell myself to stop thinking, relax, and just go to sleep.

I am starting to compile a list of places to apply to for academic jobs. I revamped my CV today based on the fabulous guidance of drdrA, which helped me realize that mine was a disaster. I am also starting to think about alternatives, like postdocs (uncommon in my field), and industrial jobs that will take me away from my dear Mr. PhizzleDizzle. I cannot have gone to grad school for years and end up with no job. It's just not possible.

But I don't know. I am not a rock star. I've had some pretty extenuating circumstances in my graduate career that have led to a not particularly impressive publication record, which concerns me greatly. I have been looking forward to doing a temporary industrial lab/postdoc job for a while to get more experience and publications and shore up my CV for an academic job search in a few years, but if I am forced to do one now, I am just not ready, really. CRAPTASTIC.

What to do, what to do?????

2 comments:

drdrA said...

Phizzledizzle-

That's drdrA- not to be confused with Dr. A- who writes a totally different blog with Dr. J. ...that can be found here:

http://2postdocswalkintoabar.blogspot.com/

PhizzleDizzle said...

gack! i knew that, i read both of your blogs! i'm sorry, i'm going to fix it now.