Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Comcast is stupid

Comcast wants my social security number in order to get service.

I googled it and apparently they've had this policy for a while, but it's the first time since I last signed up. I'm like, whaaa? Yeah right! You've gotta be fucking kidding me, I don't trust my number with them (or anyone for that matter - I am very stingy with that number). With all the brouhaha today about being careful with your SSN, you think I'm just going to type it over the internet to some person? You think I'm going to give it to a cable company? Please!

What the hell is that about? I want TV and internet, but I do NOT want to give them my SSN. Even their customer service czar has twittered that they don't require it, but that doesn't stop their representatives from trying to get it from you. That's the biggest rub. When exposed, the Comcast customer service czar twittered that their policy was not to require SSN. This happened in 2008. And yet, reps are still trying to tell you that you have to give it to them (that's what happened to me today). So they are either hugely ineffective at getting training to their reps, or they are purposefully trying to get people to give SSNs because they assume people will eventually just give it to them. Well, I pushed back, and I said no. They said, you have to, there is no other way. I said thanks and hung up on the chat.

The worst part is that the rep tried to tell me that the reason they needed the number was to make sure I qualified for the best service and deals, and to see if I needed to put in a deposit for service. I told them I had an account that I canceled several months prior before I moved and couldn't they just look that up to see that it was in good standing...and the answer was No. If you need it to make sure I'm not going to stiff you, can't you just see that I've been a good paying customer for years?

There's a reason why Comcast was runner up to AIG in this years Consumerist Worst Company in America contest. I've always used them because I've never had another choice. This is not the first time they have pissed me off. I think this time I'm going to try to find something else though. I'm going to try hard, because I really, REALLY don't think I should have to give them my social.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it's available in your area but I know a lot of people who have been really happy with AT&T U-Verse. Something to look into.

Alyssa said...

That's total BS - good for you for standing up for yourself!

ComcastCares1 said...

No, we do not require SSN. What number did you call? Did you call local number when you were told this info? I will make sure your experience is shared with our regional contacts.

Also, please know that I will be happy to assist in obtaining your services from us. Please feel free to contact me.

I am truly sorry for the experience.

Best regards,

Mark Casem
Comcast Customer Connect
National Customer Operations
We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

PhizzleDizzle said...

Thank you Mark. I am pleasantly surprised by this post. I will try again armed with this assurance from you.

JLK said...

I have friends who work in the Comcast customer care department. I'm texting one to find out right now. While I wait for his reply, I'm going to take the opportunity to bitch about another cable company, something I may or may not have blogged about when it happened.

First of all, I HATE cable companies. I hate the monopoly of it, I hate the anal rape that occurs every month on the billing statement, I hate that service can be interrupted for days and they won't credit you shit for the days you couldn't watch tv. Their internet sucks and when you live in a complex they tell you they can't do anything for you because it's a "line" problem that only the property managers can have fixed - even when you're a homeOWNER in a complex.

But the taker of the cake was when I called the cable company in my area (not Comcast, but a major player in the field) to find out if the autopay changes I requested had gone through.

Basically, hubby was away in military. Credit card for auto-pay cable expired. I received a double bill because the charge was rejected. I went online and changed it to our debit card. Next month I receive a triple bill.

So I call them. To make sure THEY are getting paid. And get this - because the account is in my husband's name, they won't let me verify the billing account information! I have my husband's SS#, DOB, account password, and for fuck's sake I am MARRIED to him - I'm not even trying to order pay-per-view!

They told me that in order to find out whether the account was paid, I would have to bring a copy of my marriage certificate and a copy of my husband's orders to the local cable store, or he would have to call and add me to the account.

I was so pissed. But the biggest slap in the face is that I couldn't even cancel my internet service with them out of spite - because it's my only damn option for service unless I also want to pay for a phone line.

Fuckers.

Oh, answer from my Comcast friend - SS# is optional, but you have to jump through a ton of extra hoops to get cable service if they can't run your credit - extra fees and deposits and all that.

microbiologist xx said...

This whole SS# thing drives me crazy. It's great that they don't require it, but why even bother asking people for it in the first place. I can't imagine any reason that a cable or internet company would need this information. If I were running a company these days, I wouldn't want to be responsible for any sensitive information that wasn't necessary.